MandM

Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Celebrate The Magic - June 12, 2010 - Kona Cafe and Magic Kingdom?

I can't believe I'm still on that first day.  Sorry for the delay, but I actually had to get some work done before I could get on with the story here.

Once the kids got back from the pool ~ without my room key.  So while they were changing, Bryan headed down the front desk to get me a replacement. 

Then the subject of food came up.  I asked if people wanted to stay at CSR and eat there or do something else.  I got something like, "Um...well...I don't know."   Thankfully, Mom is prepared. "Well, I made a reservation for Kona Cafe.  Anybody want to do that and then go to Magic Kingdom afterward?"

Well, that was all I had to say and people were ready to go.

Now if you aren't familiar with the Kona Cafe, it's a table-service restaurant at Disney's Polynesian Resort.  'Ohana, the other table-service restaurant on premises, is more sought after.  At least it has much longer lines and wait times than the Kona Cafe ever has.

That doesn't mean Kona is a bad place to eat.  On the contrary, I think it's a hidden jewel with wonderful service and fabulous food.

I planned on parking in the Magic Kingdom lot and then just taking the monorail to the Polynesian.  When we were done eating, we would take the monorail or the boat over the Magic Kingdom.

After pulling into the Magic Kingdom parking lot and seeing it was literally almost to the back of one side, I turned around and decided to park at the Polynesian for dinner.  It was just too hot and humid for me to even consider riding the tram at that point.

Before anyone jumps on me, my new plan was to eat dinner, send the family on to Magic Kingdom and then I would go move the car back to the MK lot.  Hopefully by then, I could move up a little farther than the back 40.

After parking at the Polynesian, we walked up to the second floor to check in at Kona Cafe.  My kids headed over to the gift shop while I waited to get my pager.  By the way, already at 5pm, the line to check in at 'Ohana was almost all the way back to the Kona Cafe entrance.

Since Kona had just opened, I think we waited maybe five minutes before the pager went off and we were seated.

We had a great meal.  I had the shrimp and scallops with sticky rice and salad, which is fabulous.  My son had the Teriyaki Chicken Wings Appetizer for Two...for his entree.  My daughter had the Chicken Pan Asian noodles.  And Bryan has the Ginger Crusted Ribeye.

Bryan likes his meat medium rare and it came out a little pinker than he liked, but our server was prompt in getting that fixed for us. All in all, a great meal from Kona Cafe as usual.

Everyone was drooping a bit.  I'm sure we had a little bit of the full-tummy-sleepies, but when I asked if people still wanted to head to Magic Kingdom, I could see the energy level just wasn't there.  So I exercised a mom-veto and said we'd just head back to the resort to settle in for the evening.  That seemed to make everyone happy.

We stopped in at the main shop on the ground floor of the Polynesian.  This store had some great mint foot cream that I've been looking for.  If you don't have something like that, mint foot/leg cream is awesome for sore feet and legs...like the kind you get when you walk in the theme parks too much. 

And, we had to take a follow up picture with the Tiki statue...This is the nice one...






And this is the silly one...





Teenage boys...what would you do for entertainment without them?

Caitlin and I went to look at something and I can't even remember what it was.  When we came out into the lobby to find the boys, here's what I found:





They are watching channel 96, which at Disney World, shows all these old-time, classic Disney cartoons.

You used to be able to get channel 96 in your resort hotel room, but in the last couple of years, it seems that they have filtered it out. 

I want it back!  My kids love the old toons and I bet lots of Disney fans, whether newbies or veterans, would love to have it available all the time!

So we headed back to CSR, watched some TV and crashed for the night.

Next up:  Sunday, June 13.  Picking up the group incentive stuff and heading to Epcot.

No comments:

Post a Comment