MandM

Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Disney Marathon, 5K, or Obstacle Course?

So Disney just did the Disney Marathon last weekend at Disney World.

Actually, there were several different races:

  • Marathon
  • Half Marathon
  • Marathon Relay
  • Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge
  • Buzz and Woody's Best Friends 5K
  • Mickey's Marathon Kids Fest
Basically, if you want to run, there's something for everybody in this Marathon weekend.  And what better venue than running through Disney Parks!  

I'm soooooo not a runner.  Meaning, I don't run just to run.  I need more motivation than that.  I can't just run down the road, on a treadmill, around a track.  It's boring.  Now, if I had to run through Disney World where I could be completely distracted from the fact that I'm running miles and miles because I get to see the parks at the same time...well, I might be open to that.

Disney has several other endurance events during the year.
  • The Princess Half Marathon at WDW in February (and the related shorter races)
  • The Wine & Dine Half Marathon at WDW in October (and the related shorter races)
  • Expedition Everest Challenge at WDW in May
I'm not a fan of E:E at AK.  Love the theming; the drop is not my thing.  So I almost overlooked that last event there because to me, that sounded like riding E:E over...and over...and over again.

Then I looked a little deeper.  Obstacle course?  Scavenger Hunt?  Through AK?  Only 5K (~3 miles)?

Hmmm...that sounds more like my type of thing.

I'm all about obstacle courses and scavenger hunts.  Make it interesting!  This sounds like a very lite Amazing Race-type thing.  (Though can you imagine what a real Amazing Race type thing would be like at WDW!  I'd be on top of that in a heartbeat!)

I regularly do 5 miles on the elliptical at the YMCA.  I know, I know...it's not that same as running on hard ground.  

Dude...don't care.  I'm not road racing...I'm racing at WDW!

Plus, if the scavenger hunt is the same concept...the clues you get are totally based on your knowledge of Animal Kingdom.  Shouldn't be a problem.

So...I'm seriously thinking about it. 

Should I do it?  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think the EEC looks like a blast! I'm considering doing it, too!

    ReplyDelete